Wood Plank Ceilings

>> Friday, November 18, 2011

Well after the realization that we'll be getting a new kitchen ceiling (due to moving walls and short joists) I've been contemplating these gorgeous wood ceilings:

via primitive decor

via pinterest

via Design Chic

My most favorite of all, though, comes from For the Love of a House:

It can have a Scandinavian vibe, but I think it adds to the industrial-farmhouse look I'm trying to pull off.  

However, it's not something I'm willing to spend a fortune on.  But I figured since I'm going to have to replace the ceiling anyway, it could be worth it to get something really neat.  For a basis I'm assuming drywall professionally installed is about $1/ square foot (I hope that's a fair assumption).

  So here's the research I've found:  The most surprising thing is that you basically can't use blown insulation above a plank ceiling because the particles could, potentially, rain down through the cracks.  Spray foam was recommended a lot of places (garden web, etc.) but is expensive.  Rolled insulation was considered to be an ok solution.  It's still more than blown so that should be taken into account.

As for the wood installation: The DIY Diva installed a tongue and grove ceiling as a DIY (shocker right?).  


She used bead board and went straight onto the wood joists with only a plastic sheeting between.  

At Home Depot, pine bead board planks (1 x 6 inches and in boards 12 feet long) are $9.12 each.  That comes out to around $1.66/ square foot.

Lowes sells pine v-groove plank paneling that is 3.5 inches by 8 feet.  It's a bit thinner though (at .31 inches and it's recommend to have a solid backing behind it - aka drywall).  A package of 6 boards is $8.77 making it around $0.63/ square foot.


This looks similar to what the inspiration pictures used.  However, the fact that it has to be backed by drywall makes it 100% an extra (although no more than the bead board).  For us it looks like it would be around a $350 - $400 extra (assuming we installed it ourself).  Not too bad for such an awesome detail.

13 comments:

Anonymous,  April 19, 2013 at 2:06 AM  

I almost never comment, but i did some searching and wound up here "Wood Plank Ceilings".

And I do have some questions for you if you usually do not mind.
Could it be simply me or does it look like a few of the remarks appear like they are written by brain dead visitors?
:-P And, if you are writing on additional sites, I'd like to keep up with anything new you have to post. Could you make a list of all of your community sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

my web blog ... airplane landing games

Anonymous,  April 29, 2014 at 6:48 AM  

It's going to be finish of mine day, but before finish I am
reading this great piece of writing to improve my experience.


Here is my blog :: buy twitter followers

Anonymous,  June 7, 2014 at 8:32 PM  

I comment whenever I especially enjoy a article on a site or if I
have something to add to the conversation. Usually it is a result of the
sincerness communicated in the post I read. And after this post "Wood Plank Ceilings".
I was excited enough to drop a commenta response ;) I do
have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind.
Is it only me or do a few of these responses appear like written by brain dead folks?
:-P And, if you are posting at additional online sites, I would like
to follow you. Would you list all of all your public pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed,
or linkedin profile?

Feel free to surf to my weblog ... Best gaming laptops 2014

Anonymous,  June 10, 2014 at 4:32 AM  

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up!
I'll go ahead annd bookmark your site to come back down the road.
Cheers

My site: the venus factor (http://Www.reddit.com/r/fightweight/comments/26na37/venus_factor_review)

Anonymous,  June 12, 2014 at 5:49 AM  

Awesome blog! Is your theme custom made or did
you download it from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple adjustements
would really make my blog jump out. Please let me know where you got your
theme. Thanks

Also visit my website ... goji actives (http://dbiolab.com/?document_srl=3576)

Anonymous,  June 18, 2014 at 5:02 PM  

She then goes on to predict, "Facebook will start losing its community due to this and open up the potential for other social media. pictures, or a picture of your expensive car and boat. Thus, he then inhibits access to the people who are going to this "proxy" site.

my page casser le mot de passe facebook gratuit sans enquĂȘte ()

Anonymous,  July 2, 2014 at 11:07 PM  

Hello all, here every one is sharing these kinds of knowledge, so it's good to read this web site,
and I used to visit this webpage daily.

Feel free to surf to my blog post; calories mean

Anonymous,  July 17, 2014 at 2:32 AM  

Your means of telling the whole thying in this article is
rewally pleasant, all bbe capable of effortlessly be aware of it,
Thanks a lot.

Also visit my webpage ... Carpeting Fitting Up Fullerton California

Geftinat 250 mg price July 18, 2014 at 2:44 AM  

Being the top rated Geftinat suppliers we feel proud to announce that we are offering the anticancer medicines and drugs at the cheapest rates. We are certified dealers of the drugs who provide drugs at nominal rates.

Chiropractor Los Angeles July 22, 2014 at 9:21 AM  

We are the leading physical therapists in Los Angeles to offer cutting-edge Aquatic Physical therapy. Physical therapists are health care professionals who provide care to individuals to develop, maintain, and restore maximum movement.

Motorcycle Accident Attorney July 23, 2014 at 7:41 AM  

Accidents are really unfortunate and require proper attention not from the medical professionals but also from legal professionals to cover your
expenses from compensation. Motorcycle accident attorney will surely help you in getting adequate amount of compensation.

Los Angeles Wrought iron July 23, 2014 at 8:34 AM  

We offers wrought iron gate and gril at latest styles. Our ornamental fences provide security and style to your garden and pool. We provide always high quality fecny gates at affordable prices in los angeles area.

kamagra supplier July 25, 2014 at 2:36 AM  

We are leading supplier of Kamagra Tablets, Kamagra Jelly and Kamagra Now is a leading supplier of Kamagra Tablets and Kamagra Jelly. We provide the certified and authenticated drugs to the patients at their required place.

Post a Comment