Oh Burlap, Do I love Thee?

>> Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Burlap it truely all the rage,  but I just can't decide if I'm buying it.  It does have a few very great qualities going for it - namely it has a nice texture and it's cheap and it's readily available.  But how does it really work as an upholstery material?  The burlap I remember - and most that I've seen - is just plain scratchy and always has a distinct dirt smell.  Not exactly what I'm looking for in a new chair.

This chair also brings up an important question: will it always look sad and droopy?  Or maybe that was part of the design,  to make it more casual?  I don't know, but, to me, this absolutely looks like a chair no one will ever, ever actually sit it.  In that case it does make a pretty sculpture.


Here is a table from Veranda magazine.  I have to say the table cloth does look elegant but not too formal - a hard line to walk.

These headboards and bench were created by Brooke from Velvet and Linen.  They also combine the elegant and casual qualities.  It also does a good job of speaking to the beachy qualities in the rest the room and her California house.  The detail of the bench still leaves me wondering though.

 

This is probably my favorite.  Another Veranda shot.  The bed skirt makes perfect since - it's just for looks, you never actually touch it.  And I love the drapes for the same reason.  I'm still questioning the headboard, but I love the way it contrasts with the ruffled hem of the bed spread.  I also love that the walls are painted the same color (this burlap is a nice gray too,  not the typical mud brown).  That allows the texture of the burlap to really stand out. 

Jury's still out.  We'll have to wait and see...

~Holly

0 comments:

Post a Comment