Unexpected Inspiration

>> Wednesday, September 7, 2011

It's funny where you'll be when something catches your eye.  I found a shirt the other day that did just that. Actually there were two but we'll just talk about one for now.  I don't really care for it as a shirt, mainly because it look like a decorator's idea board.  But as a decorator's idea board I love it.



See what I mean?  There are so many details that I'm really attracted to in this.  So here is my translation for a guest or girly bedroom:

 The tonal green background is so good.  Any of those would make a great wall color.  I'm choosing the lighter shade: Benjamin Moore's Harbour Town.  And Mascarpone for the trim (because I'm a traditionalist at heart and like "white" trim).


The curtains bring in the darker green.  I typically go with basic panels and I think that's the way to go on this one too. The first is a linen from Fabric.com.  Linen is thin though, so pairing it with a Roman shade in the second would be a very practical choice.




Clearly all bedrooms need a bed.  When I started down this path, I envisioned it with my grandmothers iron bed.  It's white with brass finials.  Restoration Hardware has a beautiful one too though (with a surprisingly reasonable price).


The bedding could go a few different ways.  One is to do a basic cream quilt and layer it with pillows incorporating the accent colors - very safe.  Another would be to go with the litteral interpretation using a pink floral and navy pillows.  Like this:

Premier Prints Dandelion White/Candy Pink
      

Problem with this concept is it tests my life rule forbidding floral prints.  Jury is still deciding if dandelions are flowers.  So third option is this pretty print and cream pillows with a shot of the navy.


 


I realize it's a little floral too, but I think it's more of a leaf motif than flower.  

Finally on the bed a cozy throw.  I like bringing the pink back in and this one has a great vinage quality to it even though it's new.



Next, I believe all good rooms need somewhere to sit and we need to incorporate the turquoise pattern in the upper left corner.   So I'm thinking something like this birdcage chair painted Aruba Blue.  (But Good Lord not for $750 like this exact option).




I would also include a pillow on the chair.   Likely incorporating the black and cream.  Something like these:


 
    
In the vicinity of this chair and table I'd hang this:


Wouldn't that be a cute reminder everyday? 

Clearly this room needs all of the details but I think it's a good framework.  Hopefully in the not-so-distant future it will become a real room.  We'll see. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment